Wednesday, January 19

Savannah day 1

Yep, we're in Savannah, GA. Liz is at a work conference and I'm just tagging along to see a new place. Yesterday, I walked around for a few hours just to get a feel for the town.

You seriously can't walk 10 feet without running into a historical marker. Makes me wish I was more of a history buff... sort of. Probably my favorite thing is that there's a public square every other block or so full of dramatic old trees covered in Spanish moss. Plus, the mansions are fun to look at—there are actually lots of Victorians just like at home and some of the blocks oddly remind me of Brooklyn, all cobblestones, brick and narrow alleys.

What's NOT like home at all is just how old the place is. We had dinner last night at the Planter's Tavern which was built in something like 1771 and where plans for the American revolution were cooked up over drinks. I know it's obvious, but it makes me realize just how new California is. It's almost funny that things like Alcatraz feel so historical.

Anyway, I'm almost done with my first coffee shop stint of the day, so here's a couple photos:



No comments:

Post a Comment